Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The letter of the day is "A"

Today we started the letter of the day.  I wanted the summer to have some meaning and without a plan for the day it seemed like it was TV all day.....not good. So I bought lots of craft supplies yesterday and set out with my plan.
   Aliyah had to look around the house for the card with the letter of the day on it, "A"(I will hide a new one M-F).  Lauren could look too but she wasn't interested at that moment. (heaven knows you can't make her do anything) Once the letter is found we walk all around the house looking for items that begin with that letter, a letter treasure hunt.  Today was found: 3 Angles, an Alligator, an Alarm clock, Alarm(smoke) an Apple and most importantly Aliyah! We sounded them out and wrote them on the white board. 
  
Then we finger painted an Amazing Action Alphabet page that talked about an Angry Alligator who had his Apple stolen by an Army of Ants.  We love the Amazing Action Alphabet and Aliyah is familiar with most of the stories that go with each letter.  Lauren liked the finger painting for 5 sec and then she was much happier with a paint brush.
    Next we made pompom Ants and talked about the parts of an Ant.  Lauren enjoyed playing with the pompoms more then anything, so while she was entertained Aliyah wrote Ant 4 times and spelled it out loud twice.(Spelling bee style "ant" A-N-T "ant").  She will be asked all day how to spell ant.


We had a snack of Apple sliced and Ants (raisins) on a napkin with Ants on it. 

We sang 2 Ant songs and I thought was were done but Aliyah wanted to play a game so I suggested Cootie cause they look like ants, but that smart little girl out smarted me and ran and got Ants in your Pants. 

 I had totally forgot we had it.  It was perfect.  We worked on counting and patterns with the ants. Lauren had so much fun jumping the Ants, she didn't aim them at anything but loved to see hers jump.  I was impressed she could do it. 

    During Lauren's nap Aliyah and I did some more Art.  We are putting together little wooden model trackers and an Airplane for her Fathers Day gift to Daddy, Pa Pa and Grandpa Staheli..........sssshhhhhh.

    We will read several Aurthur books today at story time, since they are our only A books.    Later we will watch Antz.
I am excited about tomm. and though today was more thrown together as we went, it was fun and tomm will be more thought out(maybe).  Thanks mom for the great idea to do a letter of the day, it helped me organize and have a plan.

2 comments:

Riki Lee said...

That is a fantastic idea! I hope I can remember it when I need to start planning summer activities to avoid brain mush :).

McGinnis Family said...

Okay, you are like the most AMAZING mom EVER! Seriously! You are so dedicated and on the ball with your kids! No wonder they are brainiacs! Please forgive me if I steal you idea! Can't guarantee it will be as amazing as yours but, it'll be something.